Random Thoughts - Bike Babble - Geek Speak - Creative Flow

Bike Babble - Geek Speak - Music Notes -
Creative Flow - Random Thoughts

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Work is not just a job.

Random Thoughts - When I came back to work after my vacation, I found myself in a real funk. What I thought was just a vacation hangover has turned into a self-examination of what "work" means to me. 

First, let me say that I am very grateful to have a job in these stressful economic times. But, despite my best efforts, I want more than just a J-O-B. Don't get me wrong, I don't need fortune or fame (though that would be really cool!), I just want to be a part of something bigger than a paycheck and to be appreciated for the work that I do.

Companies and employees thrive when there is a mutual commitment to making the "relationship" work. Yes, I know that I am sounding like a Kaiser Permanente "Thrive" commercial which, by the way, is a great concept when it is not getting lost in the machine.

So what would make me content or, dare I say, happy in my working life? 
* Having the ability to be creative, not only in a design aspect but also in a "How can we make this work." way.
* Being productive. I hate watching the clock. I consider it a waste of my time as well as yours.
* Having a great group of people to work with. Fortunately, I do have right now :-)
* Learning new things. The world of technology today intrigues my inner/outer geek. 
* Earning a living wage instead of a surviving wage.

Too much to ask? I am keeping hope alive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment